The winter season brings home security concerns that are important to address as the season gets closer. Did you know that break-ins increase during the winter months? With the holidays approaching and the days getting shorter there are some tips that we recommend to keep you and your family aware and safe this winter.
During the winter there are many signs that burglars look for before breaking in to a home. With the days being shorter it gets dark earlier, and with winter weather such as snow and ice, burglars are able to tell if the members of the household have been home or not. Here are a few simple tips to follow:
- Install Motion Sensor Lighting: Since it starts getting darker earlier, it is easy to tell if someone is in a home or not. Burglars can look in from the street to see if lights are on in the house. Keeping lights on in the evening will help deter intruders from entering your home. Additionally, installing motion sensor lights around you home can alert you if someone is wandering around your house.
- Shovel your Driveway and Walkways: This may seem like a simple thing to do, but many burglars will pay attention to this. If a driveway or sidewalk around a home has not been cleared, burglars will take that as a sign that no one is home. Keeping these areas cleared will alert them that people are in the house.
- Remove Greenery: In the winter, a lot of greenery around you home dies due to the cold temperatures. When this happens, it is encouraged that you remove the greenery, as this can act as a hiding space for burglars peeking around your house.
- Lock Windows and Doors as all Times: This may seem like an obvious task, but many of us leave certain windows or doors unlocked at times. Burglars will check these types of things and take notes of the windows and doors that are commonly left unlocked and check them once you have left your house.
- Invest in a Home Security System: If you want to have total peace of mind in your home, investing in a home security system is the best way to do so. These systems can alert you of any movement in the house, outside of the house, and you can even have cameras installed at the front of your house to prevent theft of items left on your front porch, which is very common during the holiday season.
If you are interested in investing in home security this winter, give Hawkeye a call today. Have a happy holidays!