You are a new parent or about to be very soon. Safety has probably never been more important as you prepare to bring home your little bundle of joy! We have 5 tips to help you prepare for parenthood.
1. Have your car seat installed by a certified child passenger seat technician (CPST). If you are having a hard time locating a CPST call the local fire department. The hospital may also have one on staff that can help you as well.
2. Baby bedding is cute and receiving it at your baby shower is sure to enlist some, “Ahhhhhhs” but the truth is you don’t need it. All that your crib needs is a firm mattress and a fitted sheet. Remove blankets, toys, stuffed animals, and crib bumpers. These items are dangerous for a sleeping baby. You can use a sleep sack for warmth.
3. Place your baby’s crib away from windows to avoid accidental falls or strangulation. Your baby is safer without any strings or cords within reach, for example the cord on your window blinds.
4. Change your water heater to 120° F to avoid burns. This will prevent you from accidentally making the water too hot.
5. Install working smoke alarm AND a carbon monoxide alarm on every level of your home and it’s a good idea to also have one in every bedroom. Set a reminder in your phone to change the batteries frequently and carbon monoxide detectors should be replaced completely every 5 years.