Spring has sprung and summer is upon us. Hallelujah! Which means you can now take your exercise regimen outdoors! Spring is a good time to disconnect and be in nature, plus being outside promotes higher vitamin D levels. If you plan to exercise outside then be safe about it.
1. Remember the rules of the Road if you are going to be walking, running, or biking on the road. Wear light colored clothing, neon, or reflective clothing and take all the necessities needed to be safe. Where possible stay off busy roads and take full advantage of sidewalks.
2. Make sure to tell someone where you are going, which route you are taking, and take a cell phone. Even better? Take a buddy!
3. Exercise in a popular area such as a park and avoid secluded areas. If you are hiking in an area that you are not familiar with it is advised that you bring a map and stay on the paths.
4. Check the weather before you head out and prepare for it. Have sunblock, water, and wear appropriate clothing.
5. Change your routine up. Although consistency is nice, it is important to exercise at different times of the day and on different days. Avoid having a routine that attracts attention.
6. Be aware of your surroundings and leave one ear open if wearing headphones. If you get a weird vibe that something is wrong, don’t ignore your gut.