If you’re getting ready to sell your home, you may be trying to make some simple updates and improvements so your house will sell better. You don’t always need to make huge renovations to increase your home’s value. Here are a list of simple and fairly inexpensive ways to increase your home’s value before you put it on the market.
- Paint: Painting your home neutral colors will increase the home’s value and make your home more appealing to potential buyers. Paint is fairly inexpensive to buy and is something that you can do yourself.
- Landscape: Cleaning up your landscape is a great way to improve your home’s curb appeal. After all, the first thing a potential buyer will notice is the outside of your home. Make sure that your landscaping looks neat, even if you have not spent a lot of money or used a professional landscaping company.
- Cut Energy Costs: Many utility company’s will offer their customers a free audit of their home. Once this is done, they can tell you how you can lower your energy costs, which will be a huge appeal to a potential buyer, and save you money in the meantime.
- Visually Increase Your Home’s Square Footage: While there is no way to change the square footage of your home, there are ways to visually increase it. Open spaces with little to no clutter will make a room look larger than it is. Additionally, installing a mirror in a great room or bedroom will visually double the space. Another way to make a room look bigger and more open is to let more natural light in. Take down heavy draperies before you put your home on the market and replace them with vertical blinds or shutters.
- Small Bathroom Updates: While bathroom updates can be expensive, making small updates can have a big return. Take down outdated wallpaper and repaint with a fresh, neutral color. You can also make a small update by replacing the lighting in the bathroom, without putting a huge dent in your wallet.
- Install a Security System: Installing a security system will not only keep you safe, but will impress potential buyers. This improvement will have a huge return and will increase your home’s value before you put it on the market.
Interested in starting some updates on your home? Call Hawkeye Security and Electronics today to learn more about our security systems and other home updates.