During the summer season, many people take the time away from work to take a family vacation. Whether you’re heading down to the beach or visiting relatives that live out of town, it is important to be aware of home security when you are away. Read on to learn about our home security tips while you are away on your summer vacation.
- Don’t publicize that you will be away. While many people like to share their vacation on their social media sites, or have to leave an away message on their email, it is important to remember that this information can get to the wrong people. If people know that you are out of town it can put a target on your home for potential thieves.
- Bring all of your spare keys inside. It is common that people keep a spare key or two outside of their home in a hidden spot. Unfortunately, when you are away, intruders can spend time looking for your spare keys and use them to get into your home.
- Move valuables out of sight. Intruders will often look in windows of homes to see if there are any items of value lying around in easy to access spots. Before you leave for your trip, move all valuables to a safe location and out of sight of any possible intruders.
- Have a friend or neighbor check in. One way to deter intruders is to make it look like someone is home. Do this by having a friend or neighbor check in periodically and bring in the mail, water plants, etc.
- Use a smart lighting system. Another way to make it look like someone is home is to use a smart lighting system that will turn your outdoor porch lights on and off at a certain time every day.
- Check all locks before you leave. This may seem like an obvious thing to do, but it is important to go around your home and double check all locks, including windows and doors, before you leave.
- Invest in a Home Security System. A home security system is the best way to keep your home safe from intruders. Many systems are able to be checked while you are away, which is a great comfort when you are away on vacation.
Follow these simple tips to have peace of mind knowing your home is safe while you are enjoying your summer vacation. If you are interested in having a security system installed in your home, call Hawkeye Security today.